Peter Bevan-Baker Announces Plan for Respecting SeniorsFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 17, 2023
Charlottetown, PE - The Dennis King Government has continually shown its lack of concern for the wellbeing of seniors. Whether it has been their failures to keep them protected in the aftermath of Fiona, their failure to meaningfully invest in pharmacare, or their failure to protect seniors from illegal rent increases, it is clear that Island seniors deserve better.
The Green Party recognizes that all seniors deserve to live in dignity and, to improve the lives of seniors, a Green Government will:
● Reduce drug costs for seniors by investing $18 million into provincial pharmacare programs and eliminating unnecessary fees.
● Immediately make repairs to government-owned seniors housing and ensure that maintenance is always up to date.
● Review fees in long-term care and community care homes to make sure they are fair to seniors and their families.
● Make the Seniors’ Food Program pilot permanent and expand it to include all of Prince Edward Island.
● Establish an independent seniors’ advocate to ensure the interests of Island seniors are protected.
The Green Party’s plan for respecting seniors complements our previously announced plans for making long-term investments in public healthcare and for making life more affordable.
“Seniors have contributed so much to our Island and yet the Dennis King government has not treated them with the respect they deserve. A Green Government will invest to make life for seniors more affordable, their housing more dignified, and their government more accountable.”
Peter Bevan-Baker, Leader of the Green Party of PEI
“In my time as an MLA, I’ve seen so many seniors suffer because of the inaction of the Dennis King government. Even in the last days of his government before the snap election, the Conservatives refused to take action on the very real issues impacting seniors in our province - in healthcare, housing, and the cost of living.”
Lynne Lund, Green Candidate for District 21, Summerside-Wilmot
For media inquiries, please contact:
Director of Communications
Green Party of PEI
Tel: (902) 916-7816